Jagadguru Renukacharya Educational Institutions was established in the year 1945 under the name of Veerashaiva Education Society. Initially the institution was affiliated to the University of Mysore, which was the first university in the erstwhile State of Mysore. The University of Mysore was one of the universities that permitted private managements to commence colleges in under-graduate studies.
Veerashaiva Education society was one of the first to commence an intermediate college in private sector. This was possible because of the generosity of a philanthropist, a member of the Veerashaiva Education Society, Shroff B. Basappa. In recognition and acknowledgement of this unstinted generosity the new college was named Basappa Intermediate College.
The next significant milestone was in 1955 where the college became a first-grade college. This was due to the gift of land, housing the present college building belonging to His Holiness, the Jagadguru of Sri Rambapuri Peeta. His Holiness gifted this to the society and in to honour this great and significant contribution The Society was rechristened Sri Jagadguru Renukacharya Education Society and Basappa Intermediate College was renamed Sri Jagadguru Renukacharya College of Science, Arts and Commerce.
With its humble beginning, The Society has metamorphosed into a colossal epicentre serving the cause of education for the past 70 odd glorious years.
The Society has changed and shaped the education sector in Karnataka and is an institution of historical importance that has kept pace with the changing times and needs of education. The Society has been the crucible that has contributed by producing some great citizens in the form of administrators, advocates, judges etc. In keeping with their mission the society mould the minds of the youth to create better citizens of India.
The Society carries out its noble mission through nine institutions spread across Bangalore, offering education from the pre-primary to graduate level, covering a vast expanse of learning. The list is appended below:
Sri Jagadguru Renukacharya College of law (SJR College of Law) was the first ever private law college established in Bangalore. It was established under the aegis of the Mysore University in the year 1963. It was founded by the eminent legal educationalist Prof. P. Shivashankar.